Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Foot Striking Technique

At Devine Sports the heel strike gets the vote. Basically it depends on the kind of runner you want to be or perhaps the heel strike is developed because of the kind of running one does. Sprinters run on the forefront of the feet because it is faster and the distances are shorter. Long distance runners run heel to toe.

The Runner's Repair Book, by By Murray F. Weisenfeld, says "When you run, you should land on your heels--not on the balls of your feet. Your heel should hit the ground first--then your arch comes down--then the ball of the foot and toes. You take off from the ball of the foot--and you're into your next step. Landing on the balls of the feet is bad for you because your calf muscle never gets a chance to stretch. It stays contracted. That's how calf muscles get short and tight. Any kind of running makes your calf muscle shorter and tighter, but running on the balls of the feet makes it worse."

Me, after the research I did today I went out and tried a couple of short runs using the different technques discussed. And I definitely favor the heel strike. I hit the side of my heel and roll forward to the forefoot. I think I'll continue to run the way I've been running and I plan to run with a shorter stride; that should keep my foot in proper alignment for a safe landing.


Running from Heel to Toe -- powered by ExpertVillage.com


Expert Village

No comments:

Post a Comment