Friday, March 6, 2009

Magic 3 Minute Run

I've done my warm up stretches, core and weight training. I decided to add a little structure to my run so I looked up the couch to 5 K information. For week three the following is suggested:
Brisk five-minute warmup walk,
then do two repetitions of the following:
Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)

So I'm giving it a try cause I think I am past the three week mark. I've done one repetition and much to my suprise I did run the three minutes. Right now I'm resting and will go outside and try for the second repetition. I didn't like the way my chest felt with the first three minutes so I may cut it back to less time on the second repetition. I am comfortable with running 90 seconds at a time and I feel it is time to take it to three minutes. If I have too much trouble I'll modifiy the routine. It is suggested by the couch to 5K web site to do this routine three times a week. The couch to 5K modified schedule to increase run time and lenght is a routine that I plan to add to the schedule I've already established, which is to walk 10,000 steps and include additional running intervals in that walk. Setting up a schedule is a way for me to keep tabs on the progress I am making and to know better when to increase the number of feet that I run at one time and to know how much progress I am making.

Second repetition attempt I was only able to run two 90 second intervals. Didn't make it to the 180 seconds (3 minutes straight) this time. So my modification will be to do two repetitions a day, but I will decrease that 180 seconds to 120 seconds (2 min.) Do that routine for a week then increase the 120 sec to 150 sec then on week 6 attempt the 180 sec run again. Since I am not working I think it is okay to go with doing the workout and runs at least 5 days even 6 days a week. I will have one day of complete rest.

So my modified couch to 5 K will look like this: Week 4 March 8 thru 13
Brisk five-minute warmup walk,
then do two repetitions of the following:
Jog 200 yards (or 90 sec)
Walk 200 yards (or 90 sec)
Jog 250 yards (or 120 sec or 2 min)
Walk 250 yards (or 120 sec or 2 min)

Week 5 Mar 15 thru 20
2 repetitions of the following:
Jog 200 yards (90 sec)
Walk 200 yards (90 sec)
Jog 300 yards ( or 150 sec 2.5 min)
Walk 300 yards (or 150 sec 2.5 min)

Week 6 Mar 23 thru 27
2 repetions of the following
Jog 200 yards (90 sec)
Walk 200 yards (90 sec)
Jog 400 yards (180 sec - 3 min)
Walk 400 yards (180 sec - 3 min)

This additional period of time will give me a chance to get into even better shape with core exercises and weight training. I will continue to have the goal of 10,000 steps per day. Which when I feel motivated I will include the interval running. I do want to have a structured goal to follow. After week six I'll once again try to follow the couch to 5 K plan which at their at week 4 is:
4 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)

On Week 7 for me, March 30 thru April 3 I will attempt the above and if I need to modify the time frame or the workout I will.

Walked with 2 pound dumbells 10,000 steps. Tried one little run, but didn't have the energy to run very many feet or do a second one. Tomorrow will be a rest day because I will work for four hours.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jackie... the Couch to 5k program is great. I started with it too, but like you I modified it along the way for what seemed right for me. I think that's a good way to do it since everybody is a little different. Good luck with your running!

    ReplyDelete