Sunday, March 1, 2009

S N O W !

Photo thanks to Cheryl Coody



It's raining with snow in the forecast for today. I only spent 20 minutes run/walking. I covered .3 miles. I walked 150 feet and I ran 150 feet for 20 minutes. I checked my heart rate after running and it was 120 bpm. 45 minutes after my run my blood pressure was 147/83 and pulse was 78.

My target heart rate is: lower end 103 and upper end 135. These figures were found by subtracting my age of 62 from 220 and then multiplying that figure first by .65 to figure the lower end and then by .85 to figure the upper end. Why is a heart rate important?

The increase in the heart rate is caused by the increased oxygen demand at the cellular level. It is desirable that the cardiovascular system increase cardiac output therefore increase the delivery of blood to areas that need it.

Measuring heart rate can accomplish two goals. One, it lets me know my level of fitness and two; it lets me know how fast my heart has to beat to increase cardiovascular fitness. The following information, which I don't necessarily agree with but think it is an interesting concept, was taken from "Walking Medicine." The most scientific way to measure the strength and endurance of your heart is to determine your maximum heart rate. Which is the highest number of beats your heart can reach. A very fit person, for example a fifty year old aerobic walking teacher has the maximum heart rate of 190 which is the same heart rate as a 30 year old. A sedentary person has a heart rate of 120 which is the heart rate of a 100 year old. Walk a brisk mile then taking your pulse; that reading will be your maxmium heart rate." In a guide to Running and Walking I learned that to obtain benefits from walking and running I must exercise at my target heart rate, preferably at the higher end of my target rate.

Before running today I read some information about running form and I tried to follow the advice. I ran head up, landed on the back side of my foot, and took care to monitor my stride. I learned that some beginners find running too hard because they sprint instead of run.

It's occurred to me that my success in becoming a runner is dependent on the strenth of my legs. Too while running and walking will strenthen my legs it won't do much for my upper body. Today I'll do leg stengthening exercises and I will also do weight training and I will incorporate a few days of yoga and light weight training into my training routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment