Thursday, March 26, 2009

New plan for this running blog log.

Today is going to be an easy day so I am only going to do the routine that includes 5 minutes of stretches and ABD exercises, 5 minutes walking, and 5 minutes running then 5 minutes of cool down.

I'm paying particular attention to blood pressure readings and to my pulse rates. I used a portable digital sphygmomanometer and ran or walked in place as I took the readings. I should have come down to (220-62=158 * .6 )= 94.8 BPM five minutes after I completed my run and cool down. I reached that figure between three and five minutes of checking my blood pressure and pulse using the portable sphygmomanometer . My final post blood pressure reading was a very good 121/87; pulse 95BPM and I exercised at .75% of my target heart rate as calculated by the simplified method using 220 minus my age.

Numbers for the day:
Stretching exercise and ABD's, after five minutes 144/91; pulse rate: 63 BPM
Post 5 minutes of walking warm up: 182/98; pulse 98 BPM
Post immediately after the 5 minute run: 112/89; pulse 120 BPM
Post 2 minutes after the 5 minute run: 156/102; pulse 117 BPM
Post 3 minutes after the 5 minute run: 182/98; pulse 93 BPM
Post 4 minutes after the 5 minute run: 131/80; pulse 96 BPM
Post 5 minutes after the 5 minute run: 121/87; pulse 95 BPM

Blood pressure readings several hours after exercise session: 144/87; pulse rate 71
5 minutes later: 143/85; pulse: 69
My readings are a little higher than usual because I feasted on 2 preprepared stouffers and weight watcher meals which were loaded with preservatives like sodium. I am also pushing it and should have had a complete rest day today.

I've started getting too far away from the purpose of this blog, which is logging and journaling about my running so I'm going have another blog that will contain in depth health related issues, like information about monitoring heart rates and blood pressure and nutrition. The new blog will include researched articles on a wide array of sports medicine related subjects.
http://sportsmedicinehealthcareforathletes.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment