Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I Couldn't Sing Happy Birthday!

I completed my two 90 second runs and my two 2 minute runs. Was outside for 30 minutes. Very sunny and warm this morning.
In a runners book under the subject of How fast should I run? it said all base-building miles should be run at a comfortable, conversational pace. Often the talk test is used to determine if you are going too fast. If you don't have enough breath to carry on a conversation or if you are by yourself and you can't sing happy birthday then SLOW DOWN!
What is base building? Base building is building the framework of your program. Base building builds a better circulatory system by strengthening the heart and improving circulation to the muscles. Other benefits include: Takes less effort to run, muscle is built, and confidence is built. The four principles are: frequency, volume, program length, and intensity. In other words run more often and do other activities that will strengthen the body. Things like hill training and weight training two or three times a week.
I'm going to use the "conversation test" as one way to detemine my readiness to increase the minutes I run.

Source: THE RUNNERS BOOK OF TRAINING SECRETS; by Ken Sparks, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment